Tuesday 8 May 2012

Who would be the audience for your media product?
To begin with, I decided to have a desired audience between the ages of 16-25 as these are the people who are more than likely to listen to the genre illustrated in my magazine because people younger than this will be more than likely to listen to pop; therefore this age group will have the acquired taste for indie music that comes with age. People between these ages are also allowed to attend the events within the genre and are old enough. As a consquence, reviews will be vitally important to them and will give them a clear interest into reading the magazine because of the fact that it will lead them into going to other festivals and shows. My magazine is also intended for both genders and does not swing towards one side. This is noticed in the fact that my magazine has a similar colour scheme to NME which is multi-sex.
Next, the targeted social classes for my magazine are between the bracket of A-C1 I have chosen these social classes because I think that these are the classes that will be able to afford to buy my magazine on a weekly basis and will also have the greatest amount of disposable income in order to afford the cost of the magazine. However, I believe this is where my subsciption offer comes into play so that potentially people of a lower social class will be able to afford the magazine as prices are slashed for their loyalty. Therefore helping them to build a relationship with the magazine but also to get up to date with the music that they love.
My magazine is likely to appeal to a niche market as they are likely to share the same interests, income, needs etc. I believe that the psychographics of my audience is that they are ‘succeeders’ and ‘individuals’. I don’t feel that they would be ‘mainstream’ because my magazine is specific to the indie/rock genre and I think that members of a mainstream psychographic are likely to listen more to chart music and keep up with whose number one in the charts, for instance. Whereas I think that readers of my magazine are individuals as, even though they are all interested in the indie/rock genre, they may not like every artist included or artists from different eras and I have therefore made sure that my magazine includes a vast variety of artists from the indie/rock genre.
I believe that my magazine’s audience will share similar social habits and interests. I have therefore made sure that my magazine fits in with the ‘needs’ of my target audience. For example, I have expected that my readers will enjoy going to various gigs and concerts and I have therefore created a section of my magazine that focuses on gig listings and reviews. This way I can be certain that my readers are receiving the information they expected and that they are interested in reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment