Sunday 9 October 2011

Similar Product Research

Linked above from my scribd page is the similar product research which I completed in order to not only give me ideas on what I could include in my magazine, but also what general codes and conventions need to be seen in every magazine. Throughout my analysis, I decided to analyse magazines from a diverse selection of genres so that I could determine what is common between the magazine but also the differences. I believe this will then lead to me producing a better quality of magazine due to the fact that I will have much better pragmatical knowledge of what needs to be included as opposed to jumping straight into producing the magazine.

      However, I did not only look at front covers and what general conventions they bring to the magazines personal star image and how they stereotype themselves into a specific genre, but I then moved onto analysing contents pages and double-page spreads. When looking at the contents pages, I noticed that they are commonly very busy with subscription offers. They create this busy feel by not only using multiple images, but also by the use of  offers, band index's and in some cases, previews of what is inside the magazine. Yet again, I believe that the research is key before the production of my magazine because by the time I get around to creating my interpretation of the page, I will have a vast image of what I could create due to the fact that I have seen many different pages and have noticed how they have been successful.
     
      Finally, I looked at double page spreads and how they don't only fulfill the needs and wants of the audience about the artist, but it also gives them the sense of having a personal relationship with the artist and also ultimately has the main purpose of adhering to the star image of the interviewee and and assists them in growing as a celebrity. Throughout my research, I noticed that the idea of star image seems to be more present in the rap and R'n'B' genre and I believe this to be because of the fact that in indie magazines, the artists are perceived as being underground and usually care more about their music rather than the fame and money.

No comments:

Post a Comment